The Government e-Marketplace (GEM) is an online platform launched by the Government of India in 2016 to facilitate procurement of goods and services by various government agencies. The platform aims to provide a transparent and efficient procurement system and reduce the procurement cycle time. As of 2022, more than 1.5 lakh sellers and service providers are registered on the GEM platform, and more than 32,000 buyer organizations are using the platform for procurement.
If you are a seller or service provider looking to do business with the government, you need to register on the GEM platform. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about GEM registration in India, including the eligibility criteria, documents required, and the registration process.
Eligibility Criteria for GEM Registration
To be eligible for GEM registration, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must be an Indian citizen or a registered business entity in India.
- You must have a valid PAN (Permanent Account Number) and GSTIN (Goods and Services Tax Identification Number).
- You must have a valid digital signature certificate (DSC) issued by a recognized certifying authority in India.
- You must have a bank account in India.
- You must have a registered mobile number and email ID.
Documents Required for GEM Registration
To register on the GEM platform, you need to submit the following documents:
- PAN card: You need to provide a scanned copy of your PAN card.
- GST certificate: You need to provide a scanned copy of your GST certificate.
- Digital signature certificate: You need to provide a scanned copy of your DSC.
- Bank account details: You need to provide the details of your bank account, including the bank name, account number, and IFSC code.
- Address proof: You need to provide a scanned copy of your address proof, such as a utility bill or property tax receipt.
- Identity proof: You need to provide a scanned copy of your identity proof, such as Aadhaar card, voter ID, or passport.
- Business registration documents: If you are registering as a business entity, you need to provide the registration documents such as the certificate of incorporation, partnership deed, or LLP agreement.
Step-by-Step Process for GEM Registration
The registration process for GEM is a simple and straightforward process that can be completed online in a few easy steps. Here is a step-by-step guide to registering on the GEM platform:
Step 1: Visit the GEM website
The first step is to visit the GEM website (https://gem.gov.in/) and click on the “Seller Registration” tab on the homepage.
Step 2: Create an account
If you are a new user, you need to create an account by providing your email ID and mobile number. You will receive an OTP (One Time Password) on your registered mobile number, which you need to enter to complete the registration process.
Step 3: Provide your details
After creating an account, you need to provide your personal and business details, including your name, address, PAN number, GSTIN, and bank account details.
Step 4: Upload documents
Once you have provided your details, you need to upload the required documents, including your PAN card, GST certificate, DSC, address proof, and identity proof.
Step 5: Submit application
After uploading the documents, you need to review the information and click on the “Submit” button to complete the application process.
Step 6: Verification
After submitting the application, your application will be verified by the GEM team. The verification process may take up to 7 days. You will receive an email and SMS once your application is approved.
Step 7: Login
After your application is approved, you can login to the GEM portal using your registered email ID and password.
Step 8: Create your profile
Once you log in, you need to create your profile by providing your company details, product and service details, and other relevant information.
Step 9: Upload product and service catalog
After creating your profile, you need to upload your product and service catalog on the GEM portal. This will allow government buyers to view and purchase your products and services.
Step 10: Participate in tenders
Once your product and service catalog is uploaded, you can participate in tenders issued by government agencies. You can view the tenders and submit your bids online on the GEM portal.
Step 11: Payment and delivery
If your bid is accepted, you need to deliver the goods or services as per the terms and conditions of the contract. The payment will be made online through the GEM portal.
GEM registration is a simple and hassle-free process that can be completed online in a few easy steps. By registering on the GEM platform, you can access a large pool of government buyers and increase your business opportunities. However, it is important to ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria and submit all the required documents to avoid any delays in the approval process. Additionally, it is recommended to keep your profile and product catalog up-to-date to attract more buyers and improve your chances of winning tenders.