Small and medium-sized manufacturer, retailer, distributor, marketers, etc. dealing in food relating business has to obtain the State FSSAI License, it is mandatory for them to obtain the license. State government is responsible for issuing the FSSAI license to the food business operators.
The food business operator shall have a business in only one state to obtain this license. This license applies to all the food units having an annual turnover of INR 12 Lakhs to INR 20 Lakhs that trades within India. This license is valid for five years’ tenure with a minimum validity of 1 year.
FSSAI is an acronym for Food Safety, and Standard Authority of India, it is a supreme body authorized and responsible for regulating and supervising the food safety and food hygiene. This authority issues the FSSAI license to all the food operators doing business in India. FSSAI has issued the standards that have to be met by food operators along with the regulation of manufacturing, storage, sale, import, and distribution process to ensure the food consumed by millions of population is safe, hygiene and wholesome in quality.
The authority has also created the chain of an information network for the awareness of the general public and consumers to get accurate and reliable information relating to food safety, hygiene, and related concern.
Importance of State FSSAI License
FSSAI License is needed due to the following reasons:
- In case the food operator fails to obtain an FSSAI license falls under the proceedings of legal offence and shall be penalized for his ignorance.
- FSSAI license is onetime expense valid for one to five years depending upon the requirement of business.
- State license has to be obtained by every individual who is involved in food operations activities like manufacturing, retailing, transportation, or in any way dealing with food products.
- Issue of license or registration certificate is governed and regulated by the provisions of Food Safety and Standards Regulations 2011.
- FSSAI license or registration requirement varies as per the type and nature of the food business.
Documents Required For State License
- Form duly completed and signed
- Blueprint or Map Layout of the location where the business is situated
- Name and contact details of directors
- List of all the equipment & machinery installed and operating in the unit.
- List of food category to be manufactured
- Id proof & address proof of proprietor issued by government
- Passport size photograph
- Complete details of the food to be manufactured
- Letter of authorization including the name & address of the responsible person
- Address proof of premise such as electricity bill or registry in case of owned premise
- In case the premise is rented or hired, rent agreement and NOC from the landlord
- License copy & No objection certificate from the manufacturer
- Certificate of plan relating to the food safety management system
Benefits of FSSAI License
- Creating awareness and brand recognition amongst consumers and the public at large
- FSSAI Logo helps in the process of customer building
- Food operators having FSSAI License enjoys a vying advantage over their competitors operating in the same market.
- It ensures the health and hygiene of food safety
- FSSAI License ensures the business expansion and diversification soon
- There is a huge chance of business expansion.
- The research and development sector is responsible to maintain the safety.
TYPES OF FSSAI LICENSE
The three licenses, differ on the basis of the scale of operation of the food business which is being carried out. The following is the detailed information on the three food licenses.
A. Basic FSSAI Registration
If the annual turnover of a food business is below Rs. 12 lakh then basic registration of food licensing is required. Generally when someone is starting up a business and unsure of expected turnover, basic food safety registration is done which can be upgraded to state license if the turnover exceeds Rs. 12 Lakh.
Dairy having capacity less that 500 liters per day or daily manufacturing capacity less than 100kg per day needs to get basic FSSAI registration which includes wide range of businesses starting from small pan shops, tea stalls, home based food operators, small warehouses, canteen’s , mid day meal services and food processors. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
B. State FSSAI License
If the annual turnover of the food business is more than Rs. 12 lakhs and less than Rs. 20 crores then one has to get state FSSAI License.
Manufacturing units having capacity upto 2 MT per day, Dairy units handling business upto 50000 liters per day, 3 star hotels and above, repackers and relebelling units, clubs canteens, all the catering business irrespective of their turnover needs to apply for State licence. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
C. Central FSSAI License
If the annual turnover of the food business is more than Rs. 20 Crores then central FSSAI License is required.
Now the businesses which do not fall under the above two categories, they need to go for central licence, the importer and exporters mandatorily needs central licence, in case you are in a business having multiple outlets across the country then you need to go for central licence for your registered address and also need to get basic state or central licences depending on the turnover of each outlet. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
An FSSAI central license is a license issued by the FSSAI to food businesses operating at a central level, such as importers and large manufacturers.
Any food business that operates at a central level and has an annual turnover of more than Rs. 20 crores needs to obtain an FSSAI central license.
- The validity of an FSSAI central license is five years.
The process for obtaining an FSSAI central license involves submitting the necessary documents and details such as Aadhaar, PAN, and company registration documents to the FSSAI portal, along with the applicable fee.
Some benefits of having an FSSAI central license include compliance with food safety regulations, improved consumer confidence in the safety of the food products, and access to new markets.
No, a food business that is required to obtain an FSSAI central license cannot operate without one.
The penalty for operating without an FSSAI central license can range from Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 5 lakhs, depending on the severity of the offense.
Yes, an FSSAI central license can be suspended or cancelled if the food business is found to be violating food safety regulations or fails to comply with FSSAI requirements.
No, an FSSAI central license is not transferable and cannot be used by any other entity other than the one for which it was originally issued.