Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) is a process control based system for food safety. The HACCP principle for Food safety has been developed based on guidelines for HACCP application as per the Codex Alimentarius Commission.
The HACCP system is a process control system guidelines which are applicable to any organization those who are dealing with Manufacturing, trading, supply, retailing, packing, transportation, farming etc of a food product. The HACCP system provides the guideline to identify the food safety Hazards (Physical Hazards, Chemical Hazards & Biological Hazards), evaluation of Food safety Hazards and Food safety Risk analysis, establishing the PRP’s, setting of product characteristics, Critical control points, critical control limits, validation, verification, identification of potential emergency situations related to food safety etc.
HACCP Certification Concept
- Assuring Food Safety
- Control of food safety through process control by prevention method. Identify the potential food safety concern (i.e Food safety Hazards, contamination, CCP etc).
As per Codex Alimentarius Commission guidelines, there are seven HACCP principles as given below
- PRINCIPLE 1 – CONDUCT A HAZARD ANALYSIS.
- PRINCIPLE 2 – DETERMINE THE CRITICAL CONTROL POINTS (CCPS).
- PRINCIPLE 3 – ESTABLISH A CRITICAL LIMIT(S).
- PRINCIPLE 4 – ESTABLISH A SYSTEM TO MONITOR CONTROL OF THE CCP.
- PRINCIPLE 5 – ESTABLISH THE CORRECTIVE ACTION TO BE TAKEN WHEN MONITORING INDICATES THAT A PARTICULAR CCP IS NOT UNDER CONTROL.
- PRINCIPLE 6 – ESTABLISH PROCEDURES FOR VERIFICATION TO CONFIRM THAT THE HACCP SYSTEM IS WORKING EFFECTIVELY.
- PRINCIPLE 7 – ESTABLISH DOCUMENTATION CONCERNING ALL PROCEDURES AND RECORDS APPROPRIATE TO THESE PRINCIPLES AND THEIR APPLICATION.
Application Steps of the HACCP System
- ASSEMBLE HACCP Team
- DESCRIBE Products
- Identification of usage
- HACCP Certification
- Construction flow DIAGRAM
- On-site verification of flow diagrams
- List of all possible HAZARDS, creation of a HAZARD Analysis and Criteria Control Measurement Division CCPS
- Establishment credits for each CCP
- Setting up a monitoring system for each CCP
- ESTABLISH Corrective Work
- ESTABLISH verification process
- ESTABLISH RECORD- KEEPING AND DOCUMENTATION
Benefits Of HACCP Certification
- Minimizing the mixing of foods in foods.
- Potentially destroys food, which can be caused by food.
- Significant compliance with applicable location and regulatory food safety requirements
- Effective communication on food safety for food suppliers, customers and those interested in the food supply chain
- Expand the business potential of COMPETITOR
- Reduce customer and end-user trust.
- Reduce food costs.
HACCP Certification Process
- APPLICATION REVIEW AND CONTRACT SIGN UP BETWEEN OSS AND APPLICANT ORGANIZATION.
- ONSITE AUDIT
- CERTIFICATION DECISION
- ISSUE OF CERTIFICATE.
- SURVEILLANCE AUDIT (ANNUALLY OR HALF-YEARLY AS FINALIZED DURING THE APPLICATION REVIEW
- PROCESS AND AGREED BY THE CLIENT)
- RE-CERTIFICATION AUDIT (WITHIN THREE YEARS BEFORE THE EXPIRY OF CERTIFICATE)